How did i get here?

there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

creep

ok..seriously- top 5 funniest moments of my life thus far. i literally cannot tell this story without sobbing from laughing, so i really hope it will translate through written words. i will forever share this memory with Julie who saw the whole thing unfold.

So Julie invited me to go see the hotel cafe tour at center stage so we could hear Cary Brothers sing. There were quite a few other folks singing too, one of who was Ingrid Michaelson. You might not know the name, but you know her song, Take me the Way I am. "if you are cold.. here take my sweater... cause i-i-i-i lo-o-o-ove the way you call me baby" i wish you could hear me singing it as i try to write that. Anyway, she was up for her last set of songs and what would become a moment that Julie and i will laugh about for the next 10 years. Let me set the stage for you here.. Julie and i decided to stand down near the front rather than be seated so we are literally about 50 feet from the artists and in the dead center of the room with stadium seats all around us. Ingrid comes out with her ukulele and starts to sing a cover of Creep by Radiohead. I happen to think this is pretty cool song and i know my sweet husband (who is stuck at home with my kids) likes it, so i take out my blackberry and record it for him. So the song comes to an end, i hit stop on the recorder and the room is dead silent as Ingrid begins to talk about her next song. All of a sudden i hear this loud noise coming from my pocket and i take out my phone to find that somehow ive turned on the song that i have just recorded. i try to calmly press the off button, but it continues to sing on and now the people on either sides of me are looking at me wondering what the heck is going on. i look to Julie who gives me the "what is wrong with you.. turn off your freaking phone and move yourself away from me" look. in a futile attempt to muffle the sound, i try sandwiching the phone between my palms and putting it between my thighs , but it only seems to get louder. i begin sweating profusely and people around me are shifting and trying to figure out where the racket is coming from. then i hear Ingrid from the stage say "is someone playing music? what the heck is that?....wait, is that me singing?" total panic sets in and i no longer know what to do so me and my phone concert just take off running out of the room while trying to mash every button i can on the phone and apparently hitting the volume button bc it keeps getting louder and louder. people were yelling.. "shut up", "turn it off" at me as i hung my head and darted for the door. after what seemed like an eternity, i finally made it out of the room and figured out a way to silence my phone. I sat down on a bench outside and just doubled over laughing. i literally think i sat outside that concert laughing with tears streaming down my face for 5 minutes. When I finally composed myself and got back in there to my place beside Julie, we then could not focus on the concert bc we couldn't stop laughing. so.. all this to say, if any of you wanna hear a great bootleg cover of Creep by Ingrid Michaelson, let me know and ill let you borrow my phone.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Jules said…

    The whole thing was hilarious. She had been playing with her phone the whole night, texting Kev and taking pictures so at first when I looked over and saw her fumbling about with it I didn't think anything of it...until I heard music coming from it. I'm like "what are you doing???" and then she proceeds to SQUEEZE it between her thighs, like she's trying to crack a walnut or something.
    THEN it just got louder and I look at her like TURN IT OFF!!! I finally decided to scoot over and pretend like I didn't know her...and she followed me and was grabbing on my arm and I'm like jerking away like-I don't know you crazy woman!!
    The funniest is that all this time Ingrid is talking and they are setting up for her next song and there are like 5 of them on stage. They all stop, look to their right and that's when she said "Is someone playing music? Is that me?" as Amber is walking out...THEN when she gets to the 2nd step I swear it got LOUDER! I'm like how can it be louder from that far away? I was hunched over and laughing my @ss off and then Ingrid launches into some slow, melancholy song and I am standing there the whole time with the shakes b/c I'm trying to control my laughter.

    Amber was gone for 2 songs! I thought for a minute she wouldn't come back. These girls next to me were like-What happened to your friend? What was going on with her? I couldn't even talk or answer them.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Lone Butterfly said…

    Did Kevin at least appreciate the gesture when you got home? Because - that might make the embarassment worth it! ;)

    Hilarious story, either way!

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Abigail said…

    So i know this is really delayed (this is the first time I've ever read your blog), but I was definitely at that concert and I remember this happening. I wasn't even on the floor and I remember hearing the music and being annoyed. Hilarious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home